A Meaty Post



I walked into the neighbourhood supermarket today with a craving a good lamb curry. On most weekdays, I am too exhausted after a long day at work for heavy duty cooking. But today was a little different. I've had a very relaxed time at work (I think Someone Important has decided to take pity on me after four consecutive weekends in my dreary little office and many, many billable hours). Coming back to the theme of this post, my relatively chirpy mood meant that I stocked up on ingredients for a nice, wholesome lamb curry and got to work right after in my kitchen. I decided to follow my mother's example and use a generous hand with the ginger and garlic.

To feel a little less guilty about the red-meat-excess on a Monday night, I decided to be a good girl and throw in a bagfull of spinach and a couple of tomatoes. As the pressure cooker did its job and whistled away, I got my trusty Tilda rice out and got it bubbling in a saucepan.

Work in progress

At the end of an hour, my meal was ready. To say the least, I was very pleased with the results and I settled down with a plate of rice, my spinach and tomato lamb curry and some greek yoghurt on the side. Heaven.


Spinach and Tomato Lamb Curry (my recipe)


Serves 2


Diced lamb - 300 grams
Onion - 1 large (finely chopped)
Tomatoes - 2 (finely chopped)
Spinach - 1 bag
Corinader powder - 2 tbsp
Kashmiri Chilli powder - 1.5 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Saunf - 2 tsp
Garlic - 5 to 6 cloves
Chopped Ginger - 3 tbsp 
Oil - 2 tbsp
Green chillies (deseeded) - 2
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt - to taste  


Marinate the lamb in the lemon juice, red chilli and turmeric powders and salt. Set aside. Skin and finely chop the garlic. Heat oil and add the saunf, ginger, garlic and chopped chillies. Fry on medium heat until the raw smell disappears. You should be able to smell roasted garlic and ginger. Add the chopped onion and stir every now and then until golden brown. Add a little more oil if necessary. Add the coriander powder and give it a good mix for a minute or two. Now, in a pressure cooker, combine the lamb, torn spinach leaves, tomatoes and the onion mix. Pressure cook for 25-30 minutes


Serve steaming hot with rice or chappaties

Comments

Popular Posts