Holiday Baking

Tamarind Spiced Cashews
Tamarind Spiced Cashews

Back when the world was a saner place, we had a holiday cookie competition at work. It was meant to be low key, but ours is a team of food lovers, and we took the whole thing very seriously. The end of the year happens to be a busy time at work, but we managed to squeeze in a preliminary intra-team competition. My chocolate ginger cookie made the cut tied alongwith a highly sophisticated spiced cookie. Sadly our team's classy cookies lost out to a platter of unassuming (but sublime) chocolate chip shortbread cookies. We may not have won the popular vote, but we were very pleased with our entries. That was my first foray into cookie baking. 

Cookies weren't something I ever associated with Christmas. Growing up, my mother baked fruit cake every Christmas which we gave away to friends, and colleagues. I love cooking traditions but this is one that I haven't maintained simply because I don't really like fruitcake. In the U.S., the holidays are a time for cookies. Last year, I put together boxes of cookies to give away to friends in the neighborhood, and teachers. Inspired by holiday guidance in The New York Times, I decided to go with a variety of cookies. Some chocolate obviously, a little bit of jam, some coconut, and some nuts. 

Macaroons, Chocolate Ginger Brownie Cookies, Jam Thumbprint Cookies and Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies baked last year

The chocolate ginger cookies and the macaroons have earned a permanent place in my cookie box.  This year, I added biscotti to the mix. And tamarind spiced cashews for a vegan.  

Our tree is up but it's beginning to start looking a little dry despite our dedication to frequent watering. All the stress from Omicron must be getting to the poor thing. And I suppose a frequently hot oven doesn't help matters. The good thing is I'm done with holiday baking (for now).

Biscotti


Comments

Popular Posts